close
close

Winston Peters receives legal letter from Bob Carr after defamation threat

Visiting Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr speaks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov during their meeting in Moscow, September 4, 2013.

Former Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr.
Photo: KIRILL KUDRYAVTSEV / AFP

Foreign Secretary Winston Peters has received a legal letter on behalf of Bob Carr informing him that they intend to take legal action against him.

The former Australian foreign minister confirmed to RNZ that his lawyers had written to Peters, following an interview on the RNZ show. Morning report Thursday.

RNZ can now confirm that Peters has received the legal letter

In the interview, Peters criticized the former Australian senator’s views on the security partnership between Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

RNZ removed the comments from the online interview after Carr, who was Australia’s foreign minister from 2012 to 2013, told RNZ he considered the comments “completely defamatory” and would be taking legal action.

Peters was being interviewed on Morning report about a major foreign policy speech he gave in Wellington on Wednesday night, setting out New Zealand’s position on AUKUS.

Last month, Carr traveled to New Zealand to take part in a roundtable discussion on AUKUS, after Labor foreign affairs spokesperson David Parker hosted a debate in Parliament.

Speaking to media in Auckland on Thursday afternoon, Premier Christopher Luxon, when asked about Peters’ comments, said that as an experienced politician, Carr should understand the “turbulence of politics”.